Mutual Funds

In general, mutual fund companies don't allow shareholders to transfer mutual fund shares outside the fund. The shares must be transferred to an account within the fund created for the University.

Gifts of mutual fund shares take some time to finalize, so prepare in advance if the timing of your gift is critical.

Using a Share Transfer Form

  • Get a standard Transfer of Shares to the New Owner Form from your mutual fund company. This form authorizes the transfer of shares from your account into an account opened for the University.
  • This form must be completed by you and the University. You can leave the "transfer to" portion of the form blank and allow the University to fill it in or you can indicate that the shares are to be transferred to the Rector and Visitors of the University of Virginia.
  • Make sure to use the University's corporate name instead of a school or department at UVA.
  • To designate your gift to the Health System, include a note in a letter accompanying the form when it's sent to the University.
  • All persons listed in the "transfer from" section of the form (owners of the account) must sign the form. All signatures must be medallion guaranteed, not notarized. Medallion guarantees are available at a bank or brokerage house.

After completing your portion of the form, please send it to the University of Virginia Gift Accounting Department:

UVA Gift Processing Services
PO Box 400331
Charlottesville, VA 22904-4331

Phone: 434-924-7018

We'll forward the form to the mutual fund company with instructions that the shares be sold and the proceeds sent to the University. The funds will be directed to the school, program or purpose you designate in the letter.

If a Share Transfer Form Isn't Available

  • All owners of the account must sign this letter and the signatures must be medallion guaranteed.
  • You can write a letter addressed to the company authorizing the transfer of shares to the University.
  • Send the signed original of the letter to UVA at one of the addresses above so that the University can attach a letter requesting the transaction.
  • All persons listed on the "transfer from" account need to sign the letter.